a waxing autumn moon .... channeling our ancestral harvest energy to manage the season

Maybe because it is snowing outside my window this morning or maybe because the business we are in pushes Thanksgiving off my radar to free up the brain cells (and energy) I need to prepare for the Christmas rush, but I am feeling the need to embrace these last few weeks of autumn. Maybe you are, too.

We are in the middle of a wonderful waxing moon. A waxing moon means the moon is getting larger in the sky, moving from the new moon towards the full moon on the 17th. This is a time for new beginnings, to conceptualize ideas, to invoke. Mercury also moves direct so things will become more clear to us now and things will move forward with less back-steps and road blocks. 

Our ancestors prepared for winter in autumn - they brought in the harvest, readied the indoors to take care of them through the winter months they knew were coming - and these are exactly the things we do now.


I make about 60% of my income for the entire year in November and December - when things get crazy I channel my ancestral 'bringing in the harvest' energy and winter mindset. I bring some pictures of them into my workspace now and they whisper to me, "we are all depending on you Catherine, we love you, you can do this."

I much prefer inspiration from my grandmother and great-grandmother to Nike these days.

We are all fully immersed in Scorpio right now - the ideas of life and death are on our mind - for our ancestors, winter brought the year's highest risk of death and Scorpio gave them the courage to face this without fear. It was also a secretive time - you had to hide your harvest from animals, thieves and authorities who might try to claim it. So it is a time for hiding things and unearthing them.

(maybe the things we don't even know we have buried that come out in heaving sobs during yoga stretches)

 It's a time of unity (we needed diplomacy and tact to avoid war during harvest time) or a time of war (when the people who didn't know any better prevailed).

If you look at your own life (and the world) you will see these same patterns playing out now.

For now, for us - as makers - making art and businesses and lives - I think we are all artists and makers, as long as we take responsibility for the energy we are putting into the world - it is the time when new life is concentrated into seeds for next year.

In the hustle and bustle now as you bring in your own harvest, whatever that looks like in your own life, and prepare for your own winter, take the time to think about what you want to birth next year - your interest and attention and intention will create the seeds for this birth - being all over the map with your thinking will not create the strongest seeds.

(we don't want to manifest some GMO crap that might withstand the current pesticides but will do us in, in the long run - we are all in this for the long run)

You don't have to have all the answers or any answers at all, just think about what you want to invoke - the way you want to feel - you can't do this stuff wrong.

4 comments

DancingMooney said...

Cat, you've been watching me go through growing pains for years, but this is one of the first years that I am ready to go into the next, head on (rather than jumping in feet first, ay?).

"This is a time for new beginnings, to conceptualize ideas, to invoke."

and I am finally not all over the map with my thinking. :)

I hope you are finding your center. 60% of your income from these two months is a major undertaking... and I think you should be planning your next beach vacation about now too... you know, the prize of relief after the storm. ♥

Catherine Ivins said...

Ooh head on instead of feet first, I like that - it works perfectly with focus and intention preceding action. I am so happy you Janelle- it's an exciting time to welcome change for certain! I don't think this 'making stuff for a living' is intended to get us stuck in that idea but just open us up to what is possible - I feel like you do about not pigeonholing myself with my vocation/avocation these days ...

KJ said...

My maternal grandmother was simply awesome- she ran her own business from the time I was old enough to notice. I invoke her memory regularly.

Winter? I refused to get out my heavy winter coat today. I am still getting by on my light weight winter coat. It is too soon for autumn to be over.

Catherine Ivins said...

Wondering if you put that coat on this morning Kathy ... I am wearing a scarf in the house! My maternal grandmother was one tough cookie, totally self-sufficient, argued like crazy with my mother but I was her favorite, so I have good, but distant, memories .... xo